During the Christmas Eve 8 p.m. service there is a moment when the lights are dimmed so that the sanctuary is light only by the candles that congregants are holding.
The timing is important, and it is outlined here.
1. You see Silent Night in the bulletin. The organist plays an extra long introduction to Silent Night.
2. When the organ starts playing Silent Night, you turn OFF all the lights in the sanctuary except the lantern lights on the side – #s on panel.
3. You then turn off the big spot lights – two switches by the door into the choir loft.
4. Then, you step in – if you want to sing Silent Night by candlelight.
5. When Silent is finished, the organ keeps going, but you go and turn back on all the sanctuary lights.
6. Then you turn on the spot lights by the choir loft door.